Decarbonization and Equity Workshop Recap

Obtaining equity through renewable energy is an up-and-coming topic in the 21st century. Professor John Smedley presented on this topic in his workshop, “Decarbonization and Equity” as part of the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day observance day at Bates on January 15. 

While the lecture did not directly relate to the day’s theme of food justice, it illuminated important issues surrounding equity and fair distribution of clean energy today. Smedley spoke about decarbonization, the reduction of CO2 emissions through clean energy, and what transitioning to cleaner energy sources will look like in the future. He explained how this transition may provide a solution for challenges facing marginalized and lower-income individuals. 

Smedley demonstrated that environmental injustice is intertwined with a history of racial discrimination. He explained how redlining is a leading factor in segregating historically marginalized communities. Smedley discussed how the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) placed these communities into red districts, which were constructed at the time to be industrial areas not intended for residential use. This led many people to suffer health issues as a result of air pollution. 

A possible way to obtain equitable access to clean energy is dependent on the actions of communities alongside federal energy justice initiatives. Smedley stated that there have been many energy transition movements in the past and present, but he questions their success. He used Maine as an example, as it is one of the most sustainable and renewable energy-friendly states in the U.S.. Smedley noted that the state has one of the highest electricity costs in the country. The workshop prompted questions about the accessibility, sustainability, and regulation of clean energy throughout the United States.

Resources such as the International Energy Agency, Freeport Climate Action Now, Justice40 Initiative, and Berkeley Earth can guide individuals in understanding how to live a more eco-friendly lifestyle. These organizations explain practices and products that allow individuals to reduce their carbon footprint. One example of these products are weatherization kits which help save energy and money.  

“What can we do on an individual level to reduce our consumption of energy?” one Bates student asked. Smedley replied that more people should own a weatherization kit, heat pumps, and more informative environmental education. These kits help save energy and money down the road. 

For more small-scale solutions to being environmentally friendly, check out https://freeportcan.org/. In addition, the various databases below will provide more important information about this field.