Women’s basketball struggles vs. #4 Tufts

After watching the men’s team fall to Tufts in a close game, it was the women’s opportunity to give the crowd something to cheer about. However, it was no easy task, as the undefeated Tufts Jumbos stormed into Alumni Gym looking to back up their #4 national ranking.

For the first 10 minutes of the game, it was a close contest, with both teams exchanging leads. However, Tufts gradually began to suffocate the Bates offense with their trademark defense, racking up blocks and steals on their way to a commanding run to end the half.

“We are really trying to focus on consistency, intensity, and constantly being on the same page both offensively and defensively,” said sophomore forward Allania Murphy.

In the last nine minutes of the first half, the Lady Bobcats committed six turnovers helping Tufts finish out the half on a 14-1 run. Leading the way for Cats in the first half was senior captain Brianna Hawkins, who had five points.

The lead for the Jumbos only increased from there, eventually reaching 23 points as Tufts opened up the second half with two quick layups as part of an 8-0 run. For the rest of the game, the lead stayed in the twenties, as the Bobcats couldn’t muster up a comeback.

For the game, the Bobcats committed a total of 27 turnovers. Senior Hawkins finished the game with 11 points, the only Bobcat to reach double figures. Other Bobcat notables such as Meredith Kelly, Molly Brown, and Taryn O’Connell were held to season lows in scoring. Senior Allie Beaulieu chipped in eight points.

“We still have a lot of work to do through the end of the NESCAC season,” Murphy said.

The women’s team hits the road for three games before returning home on February 9th against Hamilton.