OPINION | Positive, Present, and Proactive: The Power of Our October Theme at CHEWS

The Commons Healthy Eating and Wellness Society’s student coordinators have chosen “Positive, Present, and Proactive” for their October theme.

In the month of October, the Commons Healthy Eating & Wellness Society (CHEWS) has chosen an inspiring theme that encapsulates the essence of a fulfilled life. As student coordinators for CHEWS, we selected the theme “Positive, Present and Proactive” because we believe it beckons individuals to unlock the immense potential within themselves by combining these three powerful concepts.

The Power of Positivity

Positivity is a force that can transform lives. It’s more than just a sunny disposition; it’s a mindset that allows us to see opportunities in every challenge. Embracing positivity means having the courage to believe that no matter how tough the situation, there is a silver lining.

When we infuse positivity into our daily lives, we find ourselves more resilient in the face of adversity. Challenges become opportunities to learn and grow, and setbacks become stepping stones to success. Our October theme calls for a commitment to positive thinking, reminding us that our thoughts shape our reality. When we focus on the positive, we naturally become more present in the moment.

The Gift of Being Present

Living in the present moment is a gift that we often overlook in our fast-paced lives. We are so preoccupied with the past and the future that we forget the beauty of what’s happening right now. Being present means fully engaging with the here and now, savoring the moment and appreciating life’s simple pleasures.

Incorporating presence into our lives allows us to form deeper connections with others, reduce stress and enhance our overall well-being. It’s a way of slowing down and truly savoring each experience, whether it’s a conversation with a friend, a beautiful sunset or a delicious meal. Our October theme encourages us to practice mindfulness and to relish the moments as they come, fostering a profound sense of gratitude. Beyond that, focusing on our actions in Commons with awareness of the ways in which they affect fellow diners can have a profound impact on students with food sensitivities and allergies. Raising awareness of the risks faced by those with allergies and committing to being present and thoughtful to avoid cross-contamination can enhance the Commons experience for all.

The Proactive Path to Emotional Wellness

Proactivity is the engine that propels us towards our goals. It’s about taking charge of our destiny rather than waiting for life to happen to us. A proactive individual actively seeks opportunities and solutions, acts with intention and strives to make a positive impact on the world.

By being proactive, we can overcome obstacles to emotional wellness more easily, maintain positive mental health and achieve success in work, school and relationships. Our October theme urges us to be bold and take the initiative. Whether it’s setting personal or professional goals, addressing challenges or making a positive change in the community, being proactive empowers us to be the architects of our own lives.

A Harmonious Blend of Three Forces

The synergy of positivity, presence and proactivity is a potent recipe for personal transformation. When we maintain a positive mindset, we are naturally more present in the moment, appreciating the beauty of life. This presence, in turn, inspires us to take proactive steps towards our goals and dreams.

As we journey through October with our theme, let’s strive to combine these three forces to create a life that is not just lived but truly experienced. By being positive, present and proactive, we embrace a richer, more fulfilling existence. We become the authors of our own narratives, painting our stories with the vibrant colors of positivity, the rich texture of presence and the dynamic strokes of proactivity.