BCSG+President+Perla+Figuereo+%E2%80%9921+%28right%29+and+President+Lebanos+Mengistu+%E2%80%9921+%28left%29.+

PERLA FIGUEREO / COURTESY PHOTO

BCSG President Perla Figuereo ’21 (right) and President Lebanos Mengistu ’21 (left).

Perla Figuereo ’21 Makes BCSG History as the First Woman of Color Elected President

August 22, 2020

The Bates College Student Government (BCSG) released the results of the 50th BCSG election last week, naming Perla Figuereo ’21 and Lebanos Mengistu ’21 as the next President and Vice President of the 2020-21 assembly. The Bates Student has confirmed that Figuereo will be the first woman of color to hold the position in the BCSG’s 49 years of existence, making this milestone election even more significant.

While Figuereo is humbled to be recognized for this achievement, she’s even more excited to be a role model and source of inspiration for underclassmen.

“At Convocation [my freshman year], I watched Walter Washington give his speech and I thought, a black student body president, that’s so cool.” She said that seeing him in that role made her feel like she could do the same. Now as the President-elect, she hopes to be an inspiration for underclassmen and prospective students.

READ MORE