This month I would like to feature one of our most popular made from scratch cookies. We serve over 1200 of these delicious delights and yes … they are vegan. I would like to start by dispelling the most common myths, rumors and biases I hear about vegan foods. At the top of this list is that vegan foods are only for vegans, that these foods are less flavorful and are only for those following a “healthy” lifestyle. To this I say BALONEY!!!! Not only are vegan foods delicious and found in all cuisines, they also provide additional food options for individuals with special dietary needs like lactose intolerance, religious dietary restrictions, and, in many cases, for those who are gluten free.
I hope you enjoy the recipe below!!
Bates Dining, Conferences & Campus Events
Bates Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
1 stick margarine
1 c. sugar
½ c + 1 T silken tofu
1 T pancake syrup
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ c. flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a small bowl.
3. Beat margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until fluffy.
4. Combine tofu, pancake syrup and vanilla extract until smooth. (We use a food processor.)
5. Add the pureed tofu mixture to the margarine and sugar mixture and beat until incorporated, being sure to scrape the bowl so there are no large margarine chunks.
6. Add dry ingredients and mix.
7. Scrape the bowl and add the chocolate chips. Mix until incorporated.
8. Scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment.
9. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until done.