The Diversity and Inclusion Working Group would like to share news of a number of exciting developments at Bates with regard to our institutional commitment to diversity and inclusion.

Bates Welcomes Crystal Williams, Chief Diversity Officer & Associate Vice President

In August, President Spencer shared the exciting news that Crystal Ann Williams, currently Dean for Institutional Diversity and faculty member in Creative Writing at Reed College in Portland, Ore., will soon begin her post as Associate Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer at Bates. Crystal will also maintain a faculty appointment as Professor of English at Bates. A member of the President’s senior staff, Crystal will oversee the offices of Equity and Diversity and Intercultural Education. She will be responsible for working with colleagues across campus to advance the college’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. We look forward to welcoming Crystal to campus on November 4.

Office of Equity and Diversity and Office of Intercultural Education

Heather Lindkvist has served as Acting Director of the Office of Equity and Diversity Resources for the past two years and will, in her ongoing work as Title IX Officer, be a crucial partner with Crystal Williams. Megan Taft will continue as Acting Director of the Office of Intercultural Education (OIE). Upon Crystal’s arrival, the OIE will shift in reporting structure from the Dean of Students Office to the Office of Equity and Diversity.

Diversity Dialogues

The Diversity Dialogues group has drafted a shared vision for the future of diversity at Bates and the entity currently called the Office of Intercultural Education, formerly the Multicultural Center. Continuing and expanding on the accomplishments of these offices, this document summarizes what the community would like to see carried forward. The content of the draft is based on information gathered from Bates College administration, faculty, staff, students, and alumni (1941–2012) during open meetings, one-on-one conversations, and via email during April and May of 2013. Keep an eye out for an email with more information, along with a link to the document and additional opportunities to provide thoughts and feedback.

With gratitude for ongoing collaborative efforts to engage the transformative power of our differences,

The Diversity and Inclusion Working Group:

Heather Lindkvist (Chair), Acting Director, Office of Equity and Diversity/Title IX Officer

Victoria Stanton, Bates Communication Office Advancement Writer

Matt Auer, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty

Marianne Cowan, Director of Alumni Engagement

Tedd Goundie, Dean of Students

Mai Hinton, Assistant Dean of Admission

Meg Kimmel, Associate Vice President of Communications

Kathy Low, Associate Dean of the Faculty, Professor of Psychology

Mary Main, AVP in Human Resources

Kevin McHugh, Director of Athletics

James Reese, Associate Dean of Students

Jared Rivers, Associate Dean of Admission, Diversity Enrollment

Ann Marie Russell, Director of Institutional Research

Megan Taft, Acting Director, Office of Intercultural Education

Kerri Uehlein, Program Coordinator, Office of Equity and Diversity

Emily Wright-Magoon, Acting Director, Multifaith Chaplaincy

*The Diversity and Inclusion Working Group seeks to create a collaborative, coherent college-wide approach to engage the transformative power of difference at Bates. Established in 2011, the working group’s aim has been to increase coordination with the offices and individuals accountable for equity, diversity, and inclusion at Bates and raise the visibility of diversity and inclusion efforts on campus.